Grow your peanut IQ with these fun peanut facts.
Almost 90 million jars of peanut butter are sold annually. That’s almost 3 jars every second!
- Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes, like beans, peas and lentils.
- Georgia is the #1 peanut producing state, but did you know that Texas is #4? (Texas had a long-standing reign at #2, but the record drought since 2011 has impacted the state’s production immensely.)
- The peanut plant originated in South America.
- Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the U.S.
- One acre of peanuts will make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- Peanut butter is the leading use of peanuts in the U.S.
- It takes almost 850 peanuts to make an 18oz jar of peanut butter!
- Two peanut farmers have been elected President of the United States: Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter.
- Americans eat 3 pounds of peanut butter per person every year. That’s about 700 million pounds, or enough to coat the floor of the Grand Canyon!
- The average American child will eat 1,500 peanut butter sandwiches by the time he or she graduates from high school.
- Peanut butter was the secret behind “Mr. Ed” – TV’s talking horse.
- March is National Peanut Month!
- November is National Peanut Butter Lovers’ Month!